My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Canada Walk of Fame?


I just don't get our obsession with "stars" that leave this country and make it big in America. I mean, the likes of Alanis Morrisett, Jim Carey, Michael J. Fox, Neil Young, Celine Dion and Mike Myers. All of these stars went to America and abandoned their home country. Most, if not all, got American Citizenships. They come "home" when the have a movie premiere or they receive some award. In my mind these people are no longer Canadian. They do not contribute, in anyway to Canadian Society, they won't even live here. I find farcical that they say, "I am proud to be Canadian".

Lets look at Mike Myers . There was an article written about him that was entitled, "I would rather be in Scarborough than any place on Eath". If that is so, then why doesn't he live in Scarborough? I mean living in Toronto would not inhibit his movie career. It is a short plane ride to New York (where he lives).

Then there is Alanis Morrisette. She says that she is a proud Canadian, then she applies for American citizenship. At the citizenship ceremony Alanis stood up and asked if she could be the one to sing the American national anthem. The facilitator politely declined, as they already had a "real American" ready to sing the national anthem.

Come on folks; let’s forget about these people who only use their Canadian background when it is convenient. We should be honouring true Canadians ones that live in the country, ones who retain their Canadian citizenship. We should honour the likes of the Littlest Hobo (did you know there were 12 of them), Red Green, Beachcomber Nick Adonidas (Bruno Gerussi), Peter Puck, Sarah Polley, and Scott Thompson. I think I am going to start my own walk of fame in front of my house with chalk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Counters